Tuesday, January 13, 2009

The CSPIA and Me....and you, too!

I know I am a slacker, get off me!
Here is the skinny...
*I am not sure if everyone is aware, but there are a lot of idiots in the government. A new law goes into effect February 10, 2009 that will, unless it is fixed, basically shut down Baby Bling. I really am not being over dramatic, there is no possible way for us to comply. The current law requires manufacturers of items sold for use by children under 12 to be tested for lead or phthalates. Any item containing more that 0.1% of either of those cannot be produced or sold after February 10th. Lead or phthalates can be found in paint & dye. The law requires that every component used to make the product (ribbon, flower, headband, etc) in EVERY COLOR (keep in mind we have 30+ colors of everything) be tested individually and then tested AGAIN once they are assembled. This is not just a one time thing either, every bow that is made has to be tested. The cheapest I have heard it $100 per test.

Though I am confident that our products are well below the standard levels, I cannot possibly do anything. I just sit here and Google the subject all day, waiting for something to pop up and tell me the law has been adjusted.

So, if you love me Google CSPIA and sign every petition and submit every letter you can find.

Start here : http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/economicimpactsofCPSIA/?e

And here: http://capwiz.com/americanapparel/issues/alert/?alertid=12274476

THANK YOU!

17 comments:

BrendaSue said...

I hope that you'll be able to get this law changed! I don't know how they expect small business owners, such as yourself, to comply with such a law. I am sure that this is a result of what happened in China; with the leaded toys. So because of their negligence, business owners here get to pay the price. I signed both petitions!! Good Luck.

bulkleybunch said...

are you %*#$&^#*((kidding me??!! what a nightmare! i guess i would have known about this if i didn't suck and called you! :( i'm so sorry. i'll get all over those websites. can't you just pretend? ignore? who regulates this? stupid government, it was for sure bush who made it up! i LOVE you!

Sarah said...

damn. good with that.

Cyndi said...

Are you telling me I'm out of a job!!! so much for my "Bows For Babies" fund.

lindseyj said...

Wow, seriously? That really sucks. Now post an update with a few pictures, will you? Maybe something about your kids.. Something!!

Lindsay said...

Summer, that sucks! I love your cute bows and I love seeing them in stores. I'm going on both sites and signing the petitions right now! I hope it helps!
Linz

P.S. I would love some for my new little Scout.

bulkleybunch said...

just did the petitions! i bought super cheap jeans at the gap with cute little rhinestones on the bum and the worker told me that they had to get rid of them for this same reason. crazy!! i don't get it. good luck little one.

Bockholt said...

AHHHHHHH!

Aubrey said...

We're both on the petitions. I'm sorry :(

bulkleybunch said...

i tagged your ass! you better do it! actually i don't care, i felt obligated to do it myself. hope your cruise was absolutely perfect. can't wait to see pics on facebook and hear all about it! love you!

Bryn said...

That's INSANE!! Ummm, I need my bling, bling check every month, so things better change!!!

liz said...

Hi summer!
I am new at this blogging thing, I came upon your blog and see that you have a DARLING FAMILY! I can't believe how big your kids are! I would love to keep in touch.
GOOD LUCK with your business!
Liz

liz said...

Send me your email so I can add you to my blog list!

The DeGraffs said...

alright....do a effin blog!!!

THE PRINCE FAMILY said...

I hope everything worked out with that law! Darling family picture by the way!!

bulkleybunch said...

just thought i'd remind you how much you suck.

amelia said...

hi Summer! This is amelia, a friend of dawns. i've met you a few times. Congrats on your success with Baby Bling (aside from the new stupid regulations with testing...) I also started my own business and would love a few pointers from a rockstar. You can leave me a note at www.brandonandamelia.blogspot.com or shoot me an email through my website www.hotlunchdates.com. look forward to chatting!