Friday, September 12, 2008

Ode to My Forever Baby...

I am actually emotional typing this post. Ridiculous, I know, but he is my baby. My baby turns three tomorrow. If you haven't had "the baby" yet you might not see this as a big deal, but it is. When your first or second child turns three you are excited, looking forward to all the big things to come. When it's your last baby it is much more heart wrenching.

Looking for pictures to post was pretty sad too, I don't have many. With Rio I have taken more professional pictures and less of my own. At one point I thought this was a good idea, now I wish I had more of the cute little faces that you can only catch at home.
In this picture Glen is singing "Rock-A-Bye Baby" in this awful opera voice. Rio would pull this face and whimper. We thought it was hilarious. Nice parents.





Here he is four months-old and happy, as usual. Rio was such a good baby from day one. I am not sure if there has ever been a baby more loved by his siblings. When I first brought him home from the hospital I can remember Maybel being frustrated that I was holding {nursing} him all the time and she couldn't. She got mad and yelled, "He's our baby, too!" I was surprised to see how much Finn enjoyed holding him and making him laugh when he got a little older. And Jonas has been, and still is, 100% devoted to his baby brother.
This picture was taken at about 10 months. I really thought his eyes would be blue, but they have become the same color as Glen's, green-blue-hazel. Is that a color?
This was also the last time, in his whole life that he has had short hair. I just can't bear to cut his golden locks!
And this is last year in Santa Cruz. This was his first trip to one of our favorite places on earth. Second, of course to Rio de Janeiro. Are you catching on?
Well, thank you, if you read this far, for letting me gush and relive precious moments of his life. Now I think I will go and find him, bring him into my bed and cuddle him until I cry myself to sleep. Which I should do more often since today he told me, "I am getting bigger, mom, and someday I will turn into a bird and fly away"

10 comments:

johnny.emissary said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cyndi said...

soo, cute! what a cute little "baby" that is so cute about mabel saying "he's our baby too!" geez, share the love!

BrendaSue said...

Oh!! I am getting close to tears myself! I know exactly what you mean, Harrison will always be my baby.

lindseyj said...

Happy Birthday Rio :) I was getting all teary reading your post. He is such a little sweetheart!

Sarah said...

Ok, the last sentence got me...
why do they have to grow up so fast!? Thanks for sharing:)

Alisa said...

I know!! You know how it affected me when Oli went to school. And it's funny that I can't cut his hair either even though Scott threatens to, every once in a while. Why does it feel like my heart is tangled up in that little guy?

THE PRINCE FAMILY said...

Summer he is so adorable! I know what you mean about being emotional with your youngest growing up. I feel the same way with my youngest!! I hope that he had a great birthday! Oh by the way I live in South Jordan. I know all of those girls from Orem because I roomed with Kathy Heringer, Kerri Coles, and Angie Septon. Now My daughter Brynlee takes dance with a bunch of those girls daughters! They are a fun bunch of moms.

Aubrey said...

he really said that? that sounds so intellectual! what a cutie. maybe someday when i have babies i can post things about them without being harassed.

bulkleybunch said...

awwww man!! what a great tribute to the little guy!! i am still in love with that 4 month pic. soooo cute. happy birthday rio, sorry i suck at face time with you. you're a cutie.

Amanda said...

So cute. I can't decide if I had my last so I don't have any sad moments with Matthew yet. I think I am just extra happy when when he does anything cause there was that possibility he couldn't do them. I like his name too. Just think how young you'll be when they are all grown up.